NUTRITION FOR THE ELDERLY
Older persons have special needs for nourishing food, because they are less active and use less energy. Using less fat for cooking, reducing sugars and sweets, meats and starchy foods can reduce their calorie intake. Foods from the six food groups must be carefully chosen and properly prepared.
- Staples ( Cereals, starchy foods, roots and tubers)
- Legumes (Dried peas beans and nuts)
- Food from Animals ( Meat, fish, poultry, eggs and milk etc.)
- Dark green leafy, yellow and other vegetables.
- Fruits (Citrus, yellow and all other)
- Fats and oils (Margarines, butter, oils and other fats).
The person with a nutrition related disease must be seen by a doctor. They may be given medication for diseases such as Diabetes, Hypertension, Heart Disease and Stroke, which may react with specific nutrients in food and should therefore be referred for nutrition counseling. The diet may then be adjusted for the specific condition.